Welcome To Burnt Drags ! Your Place For The Latest In Fly Fishing And Tying ! Also Up To The Minute Stream Conditions And Fishing Reports..

Monday, August 29, 2011

Fly Fishing Tattos

      While I admit I am not a big fan of needles ..... I have been contemplating a tattoo or two of a favorite fly that I tye. I went through my collection of fly photos and picked out a few that I would like to see drawn up. After picking the ones that looked good I went over to see my friend Chatz Kresge. He runs Freehanman tattoo shop near me and is a great artist. 
      I arrived at the shop pictures in hand and showed them to Chatz he said no problem and off to the drawing table he went.While waiting for him I took a look at all the pictures of other great work he has done. This instilled more of a desire to have a tattoo done by him.After about a half hour he emerged with a draft of my new tattoo. He captured the flow of the hackle and more importantly the point and bend of the Alec Jackson hook it was tied on. I told him I loved it .. So the next question was when will I be getting it done ? The answer was now as there is no time like the present.
      So off to the chair I went ... Chatz prepped the area where the tattoo was going and began to go to work. After about 45 minutes or so he was done and I have to say I was amazed at how it came out.I could put the actual fly next to it and you would be hard put to pick out the real one. Barring the fact that one of them was inked into my arm. What an awesome job he did and I must say it didn't hurt all that bad either.
     If you are contemplating getting a tattoo Chatz would be your man he is a fantastic artist and goes out of his way to make you feel comfortable while getting your new piece of art. You can visit his website at http://www.freehanman.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1 ... You won't be disappointed !


    Here is a picture of the actual fly that Chatz did for me so you can compare..
    Now to decide on the next one .......

3 comments: